Mangai (Raw Mango) Pachadi

This is a dish that my mother makes on Tamizh Varusha Pirappu (Tamil New Year). She also taught me that this has 5 different flavors to reflect that life, similarly, is a mix of happiness, success, disappointment, sadness etc. This pachadi therefore has sweetness from the jaggery, sourness from the mangoes, spiciness from the chillies, a bittter taste from the neem flowers and finally the saltiness. I just love this pachadi and can eat bowlfuls by itself and I never knew this was so easy to make until I first made it a few years ago. I skipped the neemflowers because I don't get them here and also 'coz I'm not a big fan :)

This is also one of my entries (finally) to Viji's RCI-Tamil Festivals.

MANGAI PACHADI


Ingredients:

Raw Mango - 1, peeled, deseeded, and cut into 1 inch cubes
Green Chillies - 5, slit vertically (or 3 dried red chillies)
Jaggery - 4 - 5 tbsps, (crushed)
Water - approx 3/4 cup
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece, chopped finely (optional)
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/3 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/3 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Salt, to taste
Oil - 1/2 tsp

Method:

1) Heat oil in a pan and season with mustard, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Add ginger and green chillies. After a minute add the cut mango pieces and saute.

2) After about 3-4 minutes or so, add 3/4 cup of water, salt and turmeric. Cover and allow to cook until the mango pieces soften.

3) Add the crushed jaggery and mix until it dissolves and the mixture thickens slightly. Enjoy!

Comments

  1. slurp....slurp....the mango pachadi looks so delicious........yummmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!! Only if I could get some Mangoes now!:)
    Happy Dasara.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We make it for Telugu New year, and we call it as "Ugadi Pachadi". My mom makes it using - mango, neem flower, coconut, banana, green chillies, jaggery and Tamarind.... I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 5 flavors in 1 - YUM :)
    u'hv been tagged, laavanya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh! 5 in 1...sounds delish! This is so close to the chutney recipe i posted, will try this next time i get raw mangoes. :) can the neem flower be replaced by methi seeds for that bitter taste?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You won't believe it lavanya. I was just looking at this recipe from my grandma's book. And now I see it here. Your recipe looks similar to hers. Looks soooo good. Will try this recipe soon and let you know how it turned out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mango haa... i am in can u call me for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lavanya,
    did try out this recipe now. It turned out great. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. laavanya..looks so good..wow! you are still getting raw mangoes...here the mangoes look row but it is a big hoax :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummm I'm actually drooling now at the picture, and your description of the sweetness, saltiness, spicy etc....ohhh really would love some now! I have a raw mango waiting to be used, will make this:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Sirisha.

    I managed to get this in an Indian store last weekend! :)

    Cinnamon, that's interesting with coconut, banana.. you must post it sometime.

    Richa.. Thank you. Will do the meme as soon as I can.

    Tee, I think this would be comparable to the mango chutneys one gets. That's a good qn. about the methi seeds... I'm not sure.

    Kribha, what a coincidence that you were looking at the exact same thing. Thank you for trying this out so soon and letting me know! Makes me so happy.

    Happy Cook, that's so true for me too.

    Ramya, sure I would've invited you over. Made it for dinner last night and polished of the remaining like it was dessert! :)

    Rajitha, that's true. I've been disappointed so often so I only bought one this time but it was quite good. Not too tart though.

    Namratha, I hope you try it.. Am sure you'll like it :) Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi.. Lavanya,

    my mouth is watering already.. can i hv this for lunch with my rice bath

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks lovely...and I can imagine the taste with all those wonderful flavours...happy dussehra to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I make the same thing too. Sometimes I use pineapple for a change. It tastes really good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the story behind the mangai pachadi - makes me like it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is tempting by seeing the photo Lavanya. Viji

    ReplyDelete
  17. Where did you get mangoes laavanya! I could'nt post picture ! Yours is looking lovely!!:))

    ReplyDelete
  18. So many recipes, Laav!
    this one I loved most, really want to get with some rice..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely. I would definitely prefer ginger...main ingredient for the taste and smell.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts