Mor Kuzhambu

Mor Kuzhambu is a tangy, spicy gravy made with buttermilk as a base. Quite a few vegetables can be added to this like ash gourd (white pumpkin), chow chow & spinach. It can be jazzed up by adding steamed toor dhal dumplings similar to the ones added to paruppu urundai kuzhambu or it can be made plain. This is super easy to whip up too and I usually pair it with Beans Paruppu Usili and a Potato fry.

MOR KUZHAMBU


Ingredients:
Thick Curds/Yogurt (preferably sour) - 2 cups
Ash Gourd - 1/2 cup, cubed and microwaved with some salt (optional)
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander leaves - few stalks, chopped
Salt, to taste

Seasoning:
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Methi seeds (vendhayam) - few
Dried Red Chillies - 1, broken in two
Curry Leaves - few

To Grind:
Coconut - 2 to 3 tbsp
Green chillies - 6
Red Chillies - 4
Ginger - 1 small piece (1/4 inch to 1/2 inch)
Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds (jeera) - 2 tsp
Toor Dhal - 1 tbsp (soaked in warm water for 30 mins)
Pottu Kadalai (Dalia/Roasted Gram) - 1 tbsp

Method:

1) Beat the yogurt with some water till smooth and not too thick. Add the ground paste, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.

2) Heat this mixture on medium with the cooked vegetable (white pumpkin in this case) till it starts getting foamy. Do NOT let this boil. It should heat through and be just below boiling point (this will ensure that the yogurt does not split).

3) In a small pan, heat oil and season with mustard seeds, methi, curry leaves and broken red chilli and when the mustard splutters, add to the mor kuzhambu.

4) Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and it's ready to serve.

Comments

  1. I love this recipe..it's so easy and tastes great! first had it at one of my friend's place with Rava Idli, which I'm seeing right below this post:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks perfect Laavanya! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fave too, can't wait for Summer to grow some Ash gourd!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laav - your recipe calls for so many more ing than mine.. will try it soon as it looks yum yum!! Yes, potato fry & this goes great....How about some appalam on the side?

    ReplyDelete
  5. you know laav i was searching for this recipe a few days back..as the ones we make has lots of coconut in it..i am printing this for future reference!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Laavanys do u buy the fresh ash gourd or the frozen ones? I like to have it in avial and sambhar will try this kuzhambu

    ReplyDelete
  7. thats a simple recipe with full of flavor and soo comfortingg, nice one laavanya

    ReplyDelete
  8. I soooooooooooo luv this dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Feel like drinking it Laavanya. With paruppusili - just imagine. Very nice. Viji

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too love the combi of mor kuzhambu with beans paruppu usli...nice colour of the kuzhambu

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just came from Shilpa's place where I saw an ash gourd recipe and herez one more!!! Love this dish... We call it 'Majjige Huli' in Kannada

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this recipe too, and we cant seem to have enough of it. We call it Majjige Huli in Kannada and it is a comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is similar to our moru curry, but I have to try it with parippu...love it with some spicy tomato pickle..:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the color and consistency(almost looks dal-based)of the dish... when I make this it is usually yellowish and has a watery look!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a fairly easy recipe to try Lavanya! and inviting too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yumm I love this. Can just have it with rice and pickle. Delicious

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you mansi. I've tasted this with rava idlis once (simply because both were available) and it was a nice combination indeed.

    Thank you Anu and Asha. I remember you post dedicated to gourds.

    Seema, for sure, appalam is always welcome.

    Do try this Rajitha and let me know.

    Padma, I get the fresh ones here quite easily so haven't tried the frozen ones at all.

    Thank you Sagari.

    Me too DK.

    Thank you Viji!

    Thank you EC. Yes, that combination is tasty and well-balanced too.

    Ramya, Yeah.. i've seen that on some blogs... Quite similar.

    That's true red chillies.

    Thank you Richa.

    Seena, you are right, it will be great with some pickle.

    TBC, the dhals do give some thickness to the curry.

    Thanu, it is very easy. Thanks.

    Happy Cook, that's a great combination indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. hmmm.This is a diff recipe for me. Have never used ginger and pottu kadalai

    ReplyDelete
  19. hmmm...its been quite a while since ive had mor kuzhambu!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is my favorite dish too. But I don't grind red chillies, I use it only for tadka. Looks so good Lavs.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey nice recipe and my favorite kuzhambu..My mom made this when i was small.I want to try it...will try it 2morrow and tell u

    ReplyDelete
  22. to grind: Coconut, green chillies, ginger, garlic, methi seeds,asafoetida, cumin seeds, Raw rice and chana dal wil be a gud combination...
    Cook the above gravy and atlast add ground curd made to one boil. Fry mustard seeds, curry leaves and add to it... I make this way and got a gud comments from my hubby and my MIL.. Try this too... Happy cooking :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts