Sorakkai Kadalai Paruppu Kootu

This spicy curry is a perfect way to mask the rather bland taste of Sorakkai (Lauki / Bottlegourd)... the channa dhal adds a nutty flavour and offers a bite to the texture. I've made this several times and is a recipe I got from here.

This curry can be made on the stovetop or using the pressure cooker. I prefer the latter method since it's less involved and requires no pre-soaking of channa dhal. So, remember to soak the channa dhal for a few hours if using the stove top method. Also, I go easy on the tomatoes because my husband doesn't like an overtly tomatoey taste but go ahead and double the quantity if you like.

LAUKI CHANNA DHAL CURRY


Ingredients:
Sorakkai - 1 small, about 5 cups when peeled & chopped
Channa dhal - 3/4 cup
Tomato - 1 medium
Turmeric powder - half tsp
Red chilli powder - half tsp
Sambar powder - half tsp
Coriander powder - half tsp
Cumin powder - half tsp
Kitchen King / Garam Masala - half tsp
Extracted Tamarind water - 1 to 2 tbsp
Coriander leaves - for garnish
Salt - to taste

Seasonings:
Mustard - half tsp
Urad dhal - half tsp
Cumin seeds - half tsp
Asafoetida - a couple pinches
Red Chillies - 1, broken
Curry leaves - few

Method:
1) Heat oil directly in a pressure cooker and add the seasoning ingredients. Then add the washed channa dhal and cubed sorakkai.. Saute this for a couple of minutes before adding in the chopped tomatoes.


2) Next add all the masala powders & salt. After a minute, add about a cup & a half of water. Close the lid and allow this to pressure cook for 3 whistles or till done.

3) When the pressure has subsided, remove the lid and add the tamarind water. Allow this to cool till the raw smell goes away and the curry thickens to the right consistency. Remove from the stove and stir in the chopped coriander leaves.

This goes great with rice and rotis.

For more recipes using this veggie:
Lauki Kofta
Sorakkai Channa Dhal Poriyal

Comments

  1. The curry is such a beautiful color! I can imagine pairing it with hot hot phulkas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curry looks very good. I see fresh sorakkai but avoid buying them because of the bland taste like you mentioned. I got to give this a try before I write off sorakkai for good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have used to sorakai with kadala parupu, its looks very colorful, will try this one soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also prepare this one. I saw it in a Tamil cookery show by a renowned chef. If you get a chance look for Chettinad Sorakkai Kurma in Srivalli's blog, it's so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow it looks so yumm. Beautiful and delicious curry.
    Just give this for me with plain rice, i will be a very happy person

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great, I love the color!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. kadalai parupu gives a nice flavor to the kootu right? i have made beans-carrot and kadalai parupu kootu.. this one is a nice variation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorakkai does have a pretty bland taste.. adding all those spices does really kick it up!
    Looks nice and hot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Because of its bland, sweetish taste we avoid this at home. I like this spicy curry. Also I like the fact that you are using sambhar powder and garam masala together in this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, lovely color to kootu! looks so delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I make some Kootu :) looks fiery & Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. we make this sometimes, a delhi UP version that is, but I think the southern interpretation looks way more flavourful.Will try this way next time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love sorakkai .. lovely kootu Laavanya ..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I keep seeing this in the blogs from time to time and thinking I should try it - yours looks really robust!

    ReplyDelete
  15. looking nice......healthy one.........

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome rich color. I smash the chana dal and add lauki. This looks gr8.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made this too two days back..and it tasted great with phulkas...yours looks tempting..spicy..

    ReplyDelete
  18. looking great and goes well with plain rice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The color is just amazing!! Have a great holiday, Laavanya. Will see you when I get back from vacation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely color Lavanya..I made little bit different..It has been snowing and schools were closed yesterday and couldnt visit blogs..Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, Lovely color laavanya. I love this curry. It tastes great with chapathis and rice.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm bookmarking this one.:D Just bought a gigantic BG yesterday. Will also check out your other BG recipes since I'm going to have a lot remaining even after making this one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. happy holidas to u too lavanya...kootu is delicious with rice...bookmarked..wil try it soon..

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you everyone.

    Indo, yes.. you can try this and the kofta (though it requires deep frying but I've measured the oil and if you add a mashed, boiled potato then it doesn't absorb as much). The kofta is another perfect way to mask this bland taste.

    TBC, so good timing huh? My parents always made the kofta when they bought this... the only way we used to eat this veggie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts