Rava Kesari

Will you believe it if I say I've made Kesari a grand total of just two times (once for our grihapravesam and the other was when I made TBC's Pineapple Kesari - which we loved) in the past 10+ years since I started cooking? Considering that this is one of the simplest and quickest desserts and something that frequently appears in many homes for the exact same reasons, one has to wonder why it didn't feature more often at our place. Both, my husband and I aren't (make that weren't) exactly big fans of this sweet and that would explain why this hasn't made it to our table often. But recently my mom made this when we had a few visitors and I found that it tasted quite delicious as did my daughter & husband. So, last week when my MIL made this I quickly noted down the measurements & took pictures since now, this is a sweet that I will definitely make more often than before. When you have surprise guests at home, this can be whipped up at a moment's notice with ingredients that are almost always available at any point of time.

RAWA KESARI


Ingredients:
Rava/Sooji/Fine Semolina - 1 cup
Sugar - 1.75 cup (or 2 cups if you want it very sweet)
Water - 3 cups (or replace part or whole of it with milk for a richer taste - called Sojji instead)
Ghee - 1/4 cup
Orange food colouring - as reqd
Cashew bits - 1 tbsp (I didn't use since my daughter is allergic)
Raisins - 2 tbsp
Elaichi powder - from 2 to 3 cardamoms

Method:
1) Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a heavy bottomed pan and fry cashews & raisins till the cashews are golden & the raisins puff up. Remove them with a slotted spoon and keep aside.
NOTE: Refrain from popping these into your mouth while making the kesari regardless of how tempting this may be - this is really hard for me to do... :)

2) In the remaining ghee, add the rava and roast till fragrant. It should not turn brown. Keep this aside as well.

3) Bring to boil the 3 cups of water in the pan and add some orange food colouring. Reduce the flame at this point and add the roasted rava in a steady stream while constantly stirring with the other hand. Stir until the mixture begins to thicken.

4) When thick enough (the rava would've cooked by now), add the sugar and cook until the mixture thickens again, adding ghee little by little until it is shiny and leaves the sides of the pan. Stir in elaichi powder and fried raisins (& cashews, if using).

If you want to cut into shapes, allow to cool a bit and then do so. Delicious Kesari is now ready to dig in. My daughter loves anything that is heart-shaped so sandwiches, pooris, dosa, chapathi and even this kesari has been shaped thus to appeal to her.


Comments

  1. Beautiful kesari hearts. Looks yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. for some reason, I too don't make this often .. looks very yummy

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the sweet which appears for all festival! I love the shape!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely yummy kesari ksheera..... I am just non stop drooling all over... All Slurpee. I called my hubby too to take a look at it & relish..... If I could I would have called my entire vicinity to relish this awesomely perfectly prepared prep...... KUDOS!!!!!! I would love to make & share a TOFA...just for this rava kesari...... HUGS & KISSES)))))

    Ash...
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops! I forgot..... It looks like a freshly cut juicy oozy fruit.... with that raisin playing the role of the seed of it.... :-)

    Ash...
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love kesari. I think its the most dessert I have made in my cooking life. :)but I would love to make it more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful kesari hearts...looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kesari hearts looks delicious n pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautifully presented..always a favourite..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks fantastic.. nice colour !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that is just beautiful, love love the colour. I have never made kesari in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that is just beautiful, love love the colour. I have never made kesari in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks fantastic... the glistening ghee makes this so tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is on my to do list from a long time! Rava kesari looks very inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super colour laavanya! I too don't make often because of the ghee factor ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoo, oh boy that looks divine, can't believe its rava kesari...looks like some fancy food...wonderful creation:) Lovely work:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rava kesari looks fantastic ! Loved those cute heart shapes and the color too...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have always made the Konkani sheera... never the Rava Kesari! should try... I'm still laughing about the heart shaped stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now Laav, neither have i made kesari that often...wonder why! The whole platter looks lovably done. Ammavin kaimanam and un kalai nayam eh?

    ReplyDelete
  20. looks attractive lavanya..its been long time h r u?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I remember eating orange rava kesari- or sheera as we call it in Maharashtra-- at school picnics etc. We'd make it at home minus the coloring. It's such a classic dish-- yours has come out lovely.
    I didn't know you were in the DC area, Laavanya. Hope you're enjoying all the lovely weather we've been having :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. My little one is not very fond of sweets but somehow seems to enjoy this halwa. I keep making it now and then.
    I guess I like it too and that's why my mouth is watering looking at your pics.:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kesari! One of my friends made that for his son's birthday! Yours look pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Laavanya,

    This is the best kesari. I've been trying to make restaurant style kesari for over a decade now. But this is the perfect recipe.Perfect measurements, perfect description, especially "add ghee bit by bit till kesari turns shiny". I followed it to the letter and turned out perfect!As always your recipe work!
    Thank you so much for your lovely posts.
    Alpa.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Alpa, am so happy to hear that it came out real well :) Thank you so much for trying it out and for your feedback.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts