Semiya - Javvarisi Payasam

This used to be my favorite payasam as a kid.. I loved the little glassy, chewy balls of tapioca/sago/javvarisi in the payasam. I remember crushing the appalams into this milky payasam when this was served at weddings. It was a nice salty + sweet taste and it also enabled sopping up the runny payasam off the plantain leaves that served as plates (because the appalams/papads made the consistency thicker). I haven't eaten this way in many many years since I rarely make this payasam with papads but would love to just to see if I still like the combination as much as I used to :)

This payasam/kheer could very well be made with just semiya/vermicelli and the javvarisi/sago could be skipped.

SEMIA - JAVVARISI PAYASAM - serves 6 to 8


Ingredients:
Semiya/Vermicelli - 3/4 cup, broken into small bits (in case you have the long variety)
Javvarisi/Sago - 1/3 cup
Milk - 1.5 litres or 6 cups (I used 2%)
Sugar - 1 cup (or a few tbsp more)
Cardamom - 3 to 4 cardamom pods, crushed with some sugar finely
Ghee - 1 tbsp + 2 tsp
Raisins - 1 to 2 tbsp
Cashew pieces - 1 to 2 tbsp

Method:
1) In 1 tsp of ghee, roaste the javvarisi/sago for a few mins.. It will turn a bit shiny and translucent. Transfer this to a heavy bottomed, preferably deep pan, add about half cup or so water and allow to cook on a low flame. The roasting will ensure that the sago pearls don't stick.

2) Roast the Semiya/Vermicelli separately in another tsp of ghee until golden brown and keep ready.

3) Once the javvarisi/sago has almost cooked through, add the roasted semia followed by all the milk. Allow this to come to a boil and simmer on a low-medium flame taking care to ensure it doesn't boil over. I typically sprinkle a few drops of water if I think it's going to boil over and also keep a wooden spoon in the milk at all times. This mixture has to simmer until the milk thickens and reduces a bit... Typically, I let it reduce to about 3/4 of the original volume... it doesn't have to thicken too much like Paal Payasam. During this process, the semiya will be cooked and so will the sago.

4) When thick enough, add the sugar & cardamom powder and stir. Switch off the stove. This payasam/kheer, typically thickens upon cooling thanks to the starchiness of the tapioca.

5) In a separate pan, heat the 1 tbsp of ghee and roast cashews and raisins till cashews turn golden and raisins plump up. Toss the entire mixture into the payasam and now it's ready to serve when warm. My husband loves this cold.

If you notice that the payasam is very thick upon standing, adding some milk will help thin it out.

Comments

  1. Delicious! This is how I make it too and is a constant for most occasions. Back home it was always one or the other never both together

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE javvarisi payasam. those chewy little morsels are soooo good! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing can come near to this javarisi payasam....luv the taste!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never eaten this combination (seviyan plus sago), and indeed never have made or tasted sago kheer. Looks great! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was lt 2nd favoourite payasom, i love the paripu one the best. I have never made semiya payasom myself, this looks so so yumm drool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good one, great for summer days too! My mom does this combin but we are not fond of sweets :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. semiya javvarisi payasam looks so deliicous yarr..
    mom used to add sago while she prepares the semiya payasam.i like the texture of sago.it give more thickness to the payasam
    u have a lovely blog yarr.wheever get a chance do visit my blog too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Am craving for this payasam now. I remember eating this with appalams as well! Nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks super Yummy!, every where I go Kheer/Payasam are this month host in blogs.. super tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My all time favourite...looks awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ammadi!! Wow, does that bring back memories. Absolutely my hands down favorite payasam. And it *must* be eaten with appalam to fully relish it! Unfortunately, hubby doesn't get the whole appalam with payasam thing, but it's heaven to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. recently,, i have been adding sago to semiya payasam after having it at a friends place..looks yumm...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I rarely get sago right - but I haven't given up hope. I've never come across the appalam-payasam combination, not even among others, I mean. My aunt makes this kind of payasam.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never mixed sago & semiya. nice payasam

    ReplyDelete
  15. Humm very nice recipe, love the combo of sago and semiya!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this combo,should try soon,looks so yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love semiya payasam..actually it is the only milk payasam i eat. I love javvarisi vadams..yumm...payasam...not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this a lot.. But iam not making this..MY H hates it :( U r tempting me..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lavanya, tried ur payasam yesterday for krishna jayanti and we loved it so much. This is definitely a keeper. I also added a pinch of saffron strands and made it even richer. Thanks for sharing.
    Aaha Oho

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nidhya, so nice to hear that this payasam turned out good. I like how simple and tasty this is too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts