Microwave Mango Halwa

Hello everyone, it's good to be back blogging. Hope you all had a good summer and soaked in all the sun. We had a great vacation at home and the kids had a blast with grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins and my daughter was particularly thrilled to visit the beach.

Talking of India, i missed the mango season but had lots of my favorite 'Naturo' - an awesome snack made of mangoes (similar to fruit leather found in the US). It is sweet with a slight tang and I couldn't get enough of it as a kid... infact I still love it just as much. Now, my daughter loves it too. Dreaming of Naturo... i made this Mango Sweet, inspired by this fabulous picture, using store bought, canned mango pulp. It took a long time in the microwave but the end result was close to naturo and the texture was exactly what I was looking for. Onto the recipe...

MICROWAVE MANGO HALWA

Ingredients:
Canned Mango Pulp (found in Indian stores) - about 2 to 2.5 cups
Sugar - about half cup to 1 cup (depending on how sweet you want it)
Ghee - 1 tbsp

Method:
1) Combine mango pulp and sugar in a big, microwaveable bowl and microwave it in 5 minute intervals (with a lid to avoid splatter). Stirring every 5 mins. Do this about 5 to 6 times.

2) Once the mixture thickens considerably, reduce cooking time to 2 to 3 minute intervals (this is trial and error) and continue cooking for another 10 to 15 minutes, add ghee at this point, until the mixture is almost comes together.

3) Transfer this to a plate greased with ghee, smooth out the top with a flat ladle that has also been coated with ghee. Allow to cool before cutting into cubes. You'll be amazed at how easy it is to cut perfect squares. Enjoy.

Comments

  1. That is unbelievable.. Microwave made.. It is totally WOW!!!! Even now it is unbelievable.. I thought ovens were just useful for reheating purpose.. Well that is what I use it for..... Sometimes to prepare maggi of course ;) Thanks for sharing it with us.... :)

    Ash...
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Amazing looking halwa..have not tried will mango..will have to try...

    Dr.Sameena@

    www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb looking mango halwa Laav! I am guessing you are settling down after a good holiday. I will keep this recipe in mind.
    Vendaikkai mandi from here has been tried/ tasted by uncle and self....I meant to write to you but kept forgetting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glossy looking halwa. Drooling. I too love natura a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you back Laavanya. This mango halwa is a beauty. You said it I am amazed at how beautiful it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow never tried this mango halwa.but now will try it looks yummy.do visit n commnent on my food blog too.my blog is meghasyummyfooddelight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy.can we make it from fresh mango pulp? Want to give a try

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back Lavaanya..Lovely halwa!..It looks very glossy right..got to wait for the next season to try this!..can you send this for MEC Fruits..:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it,my god its been years I had naturo :( I will sure try this :) Thanks sooooomuch for the recipe lavanyaa!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back! Mango is definitely a good way to do so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks wonderful, i ve made MW version long back, but ur piece is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, wow, wow......what can I say, I love this and I am so glad to find this blog and recipe. I need to try this out on my blog. Thanks so much, also I love the photo. Please do check out my blog too at
    http://cuminandcardamom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh that sounds, and looks, delicious! I love mangos so I'll be sure to try this out. Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow....i love love love nature....and i ve been missing it since i ve been in the US...i m going to make it rt now...will post act how it turned out

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts