Potato & Kale Fry

I'd never tried the daunting looking Kale but one day I decided to give that a shot after the success with Swiss Chard. Back home, my parents would definitely make one new green each day of the week -so I grew up loving greens of all kinds... they would mostly be poriyals, kootus or masiyals. This recipe that I tried looked different - pairing Kale with potatoes and adding indian spices appealed to me and this is now a regular dish at home(with some modifications). It's goes well with rice or rolled up in a chapathi.

POTATO & KALE FRY


Ingredients:
Potatoes - 2 big or 3 medium
Kale - a small bunch, 4 to 5 cups, chopped (after removing the stalks)
Ginger - 1 inch chopped
Garlic - 4 to 5 cloves, chopped
Turmeric powder - half tsp
Chilli powder/Sambar powder - half tsp (or to taste)
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - quarter tsp
Cumin seeds - quarter tsp

To Grind:
Coconut - 3 to 4 tbsp, grated
Green Chillies - 6
Pottukadalai (Dalia) - 3 tbsp or Almonds - 12

Method:
1) Boil the potatoes and peel them (I usually microwave them for 7 mins).

2) Grind the coconut, pottukadalai (or Almonds) & green chillies to a paste with a tiny splash of water.

3) Heat oil in a big pan, season with mustard and cumin seeds, then add the minced ginger and garlic, quickly followed by the chopped kale. Saute this until the greens wilt a bit. Cover and allow them to cook for about 10 mins or so.

4) Now add the turmeric powder, salt and chilli/sambar powder followed by cubes of potatoes.

5) Cook them for a few minutes together before adding the ground coconut paste.

6) Keep roasting this on a medium flame until the potatoes and kale are completely done (another 5 to 7 mins) & dry.

Comments

  1. This sounds and looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. healthy and simple fry....nice one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOw wat a delicious fry, adding kale with potato sounds truly yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kale and potato should be delicious! Should try when i get kale!

    ReplyDelete
  5. umm I would love this with rice:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for suggesting this dish to me. Loved it, just like your other recipes I have tried.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Laavanya, did my earlier comment make it past your approval a few days ago? Anyway, I was saying that this is a fantastic way to kale dish, goes very well with rotis - I even ate some as it is. Thanks for leading me to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much evolving tastes... It makes a good filling for sandwiches too or to roll up in rotis. I sometimes sprinkle in some cheese with the curry and make the rotis quesadilla-style for my daughter's lunch :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts