Pizza Margherita

This is the simplest of pizzas one can make but pretty much screams summer with the freshness of basil and the sweet/tart taste of ripe tomatoes, drizzled with some balsamic vinegar and topped with some ooey-gooey mozzarella cheese... my mouth waters as I write this...

I sometimes go with pita breads, or wraps or even naans for the base if I'm not making it from scratch (which is as easy as making chapathi dough, if using the yeast specially made for pizza crust).   The topping is also best made ahead so the flavors can marinate together before going on the pizza.

My best wishes to all the moms out there today.... Happy Mother's Day! :)

PIZZA MARGHERITA


Ingredients:

Pizza dough base - home made or store-bought (I sometimes use Pita breads/Naans)
Fresh Mozzarella Cheese - half cup, torn into small chunks
Shredded mozzarella - 1/4 cup

Firm Tomatoes - 2 or 3, seeded and cut into cubes
Garlic cloves - 2 or 3, minced
Basil Leaves - 1/3 cup, chopped
Balsamic Vinegar - half tbsp
Extra virgin olive oil - 1 tbsp 
Salt & Pepper - to taste

Method:

1) Ensure that tomatoes are firm, yet ripe. Remove seeds and pulp before chopping - this will ensure that the pizzas don't get soggy. 

2) Toss together in a bowl the tomatoes, garlic, basil leaves, balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper and allow this to marinate for atleast 30 mins. 

3) Preheat oven to 425F. 

4) To the pizza base add a light layer of shredded mozzarella,  top with the tomato-basil mixture (ensure that it's not watery, drain if necessary). Top with chunks of fresh mozzarella. and more chopped basil if preferred.



5) Bake in a hot oven for about 12-15 minutes or until base is cooked through and cheese is melted.  Best when eaten fresh :) Enjoy.


Comments

  1. Would love to have few slices of this pizza for my dinner..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lavanya...
    Yummy pizza..my mouth is just watering..

    I am visiting your blog for the first time and happy to follow your blog

    And I will be very happy if you follow my blog too...
    http://www.foodydelight.com/

    And also like my facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/FoodyDelight

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts