Birthday cakes 2015

Missed posting these birthday cakes earlier this year but did not want to miss the extra special celebrations since my daughter had her "Golden Birthday" - she turned 10 on 10/10 so I thought it would be apt to make her cake shaped as a 10 as well... She gave me details on what flavors the cake should have and I must say both combinations turned out awesome and the cakes were loved by all...


One was a chocolate cake with a raspberry whipped cream frosting.
The other (zero) was a vanilla cake (recipe below - used the one for magnolia cupcakes) with a lemon whipped cream filling ( i added some zest and it made for a vibrant, tasty filling).

MAGNOLIA CAKE

Ingredients:
Self-rising Flour - 3/4 cups (see substitution below)
(If you don't have self rising flour, sift together 3/4 cups all purpose flour, 1 tsp Baking Powder and 1/4 tsp salt) 

All purpose flour - half cup + 2 tbsp
Butter - 1 stick, unsalted & softened
Sugar - 1 cup
Eggs - 2, room temperature
Milk / Buttermilk - half cup
Vanilla - half tsp


Substitute for Self-Rising Flour : (Sift together the following to get 3/4c)
All purpose flour (Maida) 3/4 cup,
Baking powder - 1 tsp,
Salt - 1/4 tsp


Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
2) Grease and flour a 9 inch cake pan.  Combine both flours in a small bowl. Combine milk and vanilla.
3) In a large bowl, cream butter till smooth. Then add sugar gradually and beat until fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). 
4) Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. 
5) Divide flour mixture into 3 parts - this is the dry mixture. Add one part of dry mixture and alternate with half of milk and vanilla mixture. Alternate ending with dry mixture. Beat each time until ingredients are incorporated without over beating. 
6) Transfer batter to a pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

As for my son's birthday in August, I couldn't be around and missed his birthday since I had to travel for work. We just got back from a trip to India as well and that meant I didn't have time to unpack before I had to pack up and leave for the work trip so I couldn't make a cake in advance either. However he had his grandparents, dad and sister to celebrate with him as he turned 6 and I had to be content with videos and pictures. After I got back, I asked him what cake he would like and though he was talking of an "Iron man cake" initially he was excited at the prospect of an Icecream cake so we did that instead and it turned out to be a different experience... I basically layered vanilla and chocolate icecream with some chopped oreos thrown into the mix... so it was super duper easy.


Comments

Popular Posts